COMPLETE YOUR FAMILY TODAY
Easy Adoption Processes. Friendly, Compassionate Staff Members & Volunteers. Thousands of Homeless Animals Waiting for You.
Over 16,000 animals enter our shelters in hopes of finding a home to call their own. Is your new family member waiting for you?
The Adoption Process - Step by Step
- Select a location from our menu above and search our available adoptables
- Stop into the shelter and meet the animals you’re interested in*
- Complete an Adoption Application
- Meet with one of our Adoption Counselors
- Head home with your new furry friend
*We strongly encourage all members of a family to come and meet with any pet being considered, being that the addition of a new pet is, in our eyes, the equivalent of adding a new family member. We also recommend that potential adopters be mindful of lifestyle, level of activity, work situations, and living situations when deciding which dog or cat is right for them.
What to Bring
- A current driver’s license (you must be over 18 years of age to adopt)
- Necessary fees for adoption (credit card payment only, no cash or checks)
- Appropriate handling items for the animal that you are adopting: a carrier for a cat or other small item (available to be purchased at our shelter) or a collar and leash if you are adopting a dog (also available to be purchased at our shelter)
At the Brandywine Valley SPCA, we value every animal equally and consider them all to be priceless. Our adoption fees vary and are dependent on many factors, including: age, size, breed, behavior, medical condition, and public demand. The higher adoption fees for easier to place animals gives us additional resources to provide extra help to other animals in our shelter – such as those that may require additional surgery, medical treatment, or behavior training; those who are on hold due to pending animal cruelty investigations; or those who simply have a more difficult time finding the right family and take a little longer to find their forever home.
- Small Dogs (over 6 months old, under 40 lbs.) – $350
- Large Dogs (over 6 months old, over 40 lbs.) – $225 or $350 (depending on factors like age & size)
- Puppies (up to 6 months old) – $500
- Cats (over 6 months old)- $75
- Kittens (up to 6 months old) – $150
- Rabbits – $30
- Guinea Pigs – $20
- Ferrets – $60
- Mice, Gerbils, Rats, Hamsters – $10
Adoption fees for dogs and cats include:
- Current vaccinations
- Heartworm test (for dogs)
- Flea/tick treatment(s)
- A free “starter” bag of Science Diet dry food
- Access to our 24-hour emergency line for post-adoption health or behavior concerns
- Free access to our behavior team for follow-up behavioral training and counseling
- A free follow-up exam at our clinic or a VCA hospital within 2 weeks of adoption, plus $250 in post-adoption services as needed
Please note that payment is by major credit card only (no cash or checks). Accepted: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express