How to protect your dog from poisonous substances in your home

Your home could potentially have toxins that can be harmful to your pet. Some household products, medication, and even fruits can be poisonous to your pup. Unfortunately, many pet owners do not know this and are only made aware of it at the veterinary clinic during emergencies, and sometimes it’s too late.

In this article, we explore potential poisons and how to protect your pet.

1. Know the Harmful Foods in Your Home

Certain foods are healthy for humans, but they can be very harmful to your dog. The harm that foods in your household can cause depends on the dog’s breed. If your pet shows signs of poisoning, you may want to take it to an SPCA vet clinic for an exam.

The foods you should pay attention to include garlic, chocolate, gum, and raisins. Coffee and caffeinated foods can lead to severe physiological complications. Onions can trigger liver failure even in powder form. You should, therefore, be careful to ensure that these substances don’t get into its food.

2. Clear or Lock Away Toxic Substances

Several items may be lying around your home that can be dangerous for pets. Old batteries can release poisonous acid when chewed. Because dogs love to chew, be sure to keep such items out of their reach. You should also keep away cleaning supplies such as bleach and car fluids, as they can be toxic when ingested by your pet.

3. Remove Poisonous Plants

Some of the potted plants and vegetation you have in your garden can be hazardous for your dog. Plants such as Acorn, Wisteria, Hemlock, and Mistletoe can trigger stomach upsets, liver damage, or cardiac problems.

Some shrubs are so toxic that chewing only a few leaves can cause severe health problems. You also need to pay attention to apple seeds and peach pits, as they contain cyanide. If your pet has diarrhea, be sure to take it to an SPCA for an exam.

4. Beware of Anti-freeze

The primary ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which makes it tasty for dogs. Unfortunately, antifreeze can be harmful to your dog. If your pup ingests it, you will have to take it to a local veterinarian for a sick exam. It only requires a few tablespoons of antifreeze to be fatal for your pet.

If you spot a green substance on your driveway, try to keep your pup away from it. Better still, you can wash it down on gutters, walls, and driveways with a hose.

5. Have a Poison Prevention Plan

There are bound to be chemical products such as insecticides, medication, and cleaners in many homes. Start by understanding the chemicals that can be dangerous in your home.

Please make a point of locking up harmful products and keep them away from your pet. Consider using special latches and locks to keep those items safe. Take stock of the plants in your yard and remove the toxic ones.

You may need to inform your SPCA veterinarian of the substance that your pup has ingested. The information can facilitate a more effective diagnosis at the vet clinic.

When your pet ingests toxins, it may show symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and drooling, amongst other symptoms. Some symptoms may not be apparent until the pup’s condition becomes severe. That is why you should take your pet to an SPCA for an exam for their health and wellbeing.

All rights reserved. © 2024 Brandywine Valley SPCA.